Thursday, August 7, 2008

I scream, you scream...

I was asking my daughter tonight what treat we should make for tomorrow. Friday nights are usually family night at our house. I make a special meal- we eat low fat all week, so this is the night we might have something a bit more "naughty" like pizza. We make a dessert too, and I usually try to make a low-fat version- I've found and made some really yummy low fat desserts.
She said she wanted to make homemade ice cream. So I set out to find a recipe that just uses milk since I don't have any cream on hand and also would like to cut the calories. I found this SUPER easy yummy recipe on Allrecipes. It has only 3 ingredients, no cooking, and takes about 3 minutes to make (aside from the freezing part):

Vanilla Ice Cream VIII

INGREDIENTS

  • 8 cups milk
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

  1. Combine milk, sugar and vanilla in freezer canister of ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.

We tried it and thought it was pretty yummy. It good great reviews too. Some people suggested putting cookie chunks in, or some chocolate pudding powder to make it chocolate flavored. (That'd obviously add more calories though) We'll have to try that next time. I think you could use about half that sugar, it was a bit sweet for my taste...

No comments: